Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Dragon Ball Z movies
The movies are often considered as "what if" scenarios to the anime and manga series by many fans of the Dragon Ball franchise, since they tend to have situations that make them hard to fit into the TV or manga cannon. With some imagination, most can fit okay.
All Dragon Ball Z movies were originally released in Japan. Some of the movies have been released in the United States; the American version of each movie is edited by FUNimation Productions, and is usually released under a different title.
Controversy and plot holes
- Movie 1 has Krillin (Kuririn in the English manga and Japanese versions) not being surprised by Gohan's existence, insinuating that he knew about him. In the Dragon Ball/DBZ manga and the TV series, Krillin meets Son Gohan for the first time only hours before Goku is defeated by Raditz. Since Son Goku is in this movie searching for Gohan, then chronologically this movie could not have existed in the context of the TV series.
- Movie 8 states that Brolli and Goku were born on the same day, and that Brolli is the Legendary Super Saiyan. In the Dragon Ball Z anime, Vegeta states that there has not been a Legendary Super Saiyan for 3,000 years. Goku is only in his 20s. However, Vegeta didn't know about Broly, so this isn't really a plot hole.
- Vegeta also states that the Legendary Super Saiyan was unable to control his strength, and was forced to remain in Golden Oozaru form permanently: Brolli does not suffer from this condition.
- In Movie 13, Tapion gives Trunks a sword. This is intended to explain the origin of Future Trunks' sword. What one has to remember, is that Tapion and the events in movie 13 also would have had to have happened in Future Trunks timeline. It's just here, Trunks may have likely killed Tapion with his sword instead of hesitating, seeing as Future Trunks has had a much harder life than present day trunks, especially without his father and constant threats from the Androids.
Japanese title: "Return My Gohan"
FUNimation title: "The Dead Zone"
- Garlic Jr - A being who escaped from the Dead Zone, and is trying to collect the Dragonballs.
Note: Because this movie was followed up with Garlic Jr.'s appearance in the Garlic Jr. Saga of the anime, it stands the most chance of being canon to the anime. However, there are still timeline inconsistencies. Neither this movie nor that saga of the anime are considered canon to the Dragon Ball manga.
Japanese title: "The World's Strongest Man"
FUNimation title: "The World's Strongest"
- Dr. Wheelo - An evil scientist, reduced to a brain in a jar and searching for a strong body to take over.
- Dr. Kochin - Dr. Wheelo's assistant, who wishes for the ice over Wheelo's tomb to disappear.
Japanese title: "Ultimate Decisive Battle for Earth"
FUNimation title: "The Tree of Might"
- Turres - A Saiyan, strongly resembling Goku.
Japanese title: "Super Saiya-jin Son Goku"
FUNimation title: "Lord Slug"
- Lord Slug - An evil Namek lord, who wants to wish on the Dragonballs and gain eternal youth.
Japanese title: "The Best of Strongest versus Strongest"
FUNimation title: "Cooler's Revenge"
Japanese title: "Clash!! 10 Billion Power Warriors"
FUNimation title: "The Return of Cooler "
- Cooler - Freeza's older brother, still seeking revenge for Freeza's death.
Japanese title: "Utmost Limits of Battle!! The Three Super Saiyajin"
FUNimation title: "Super Android 13"
- Android 13 - A mechanical android created by one of Dr Gero's super computers, well after he is dead.
- Android 14 - A mechanical android created by the same super computer.
- Android 15 - A mechanical android created by the same super computer.
Japanese title: "Burn Your Spirits to the Max!! Close Battle, Violent Battle, Super Bloody Battle"
FUNimation title: "Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan"
Japanese title: "The Galaxy is in Danger!! The Super Awesome Guy!"
FUNimation title: "Bojack Unbound"
- Bojack - An evil alien imprisoned by the Kais.
Japanese title: "Dangerous Partners! Super Warriors Never Rest"
FUNimation title: ""
- Broly - The legendary Super Saiyan from Movie 8, now crashlanded on Earth.
In this movie Hercule's old business partner Pizza tries to get revenge on him by cloning Broly. Also by creating other bio-wariors. Trunks and Goten come in with #18 to save Hercule's butt by claiming to be his students. They defeat Broly by hardening his body and killing him with a Kamehameha Wave.
Japanese title: "Crushing Super Warrior!! I am the Winner "
- Jaga Bada - Challenges Hercule to a match against the bio-warriors.
- Clone Broly - A clone of the legendary Super Saiyan, created by Jaga Bada.
Japanese title: "The Rebirth of Fusion!! Goku and Vegita!"
- Janemba - An evil demon who escapes from Hell and takes over the spirit world.
- Gogeta - A fusion of Goku and Vegeta, using the Fusion Dance.
Japanese title: "Dragon Fist Explosion!! If Goku Can't Do It, No One Can "
- Tapion - A warrior trapped inside an oracle, holding the top half of Hildegarn 's body inside him.
- Hildegarn - A monster, split in half and trapped inside the same oracle.
Japanese title: "Plot To Destroy the Saiya-jin!"
- Dr. Raichi - A ghost-warrior of the original Dr. Raichi, a member of the Tsufurujin race that was eradicated by the saiyans.
- Hachihyaku - The fighting form of the machine Dr. Raichi used to create ghost-warriors.
Note: Some fans incorrectly state that this is a Dragon Ball Z OVA (similar to an American television miniseries.) This two-part movie is actually a video release of strung together cutscenes from a Playdia video game never released in the US.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details