Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Department of Public Safety
In certain governments, the Department of Public Safety is the government umbrella agency which serves to assist the various bureaus, agencies, and offices in the delivery of their services by providing administrative, financial, and technical services and support for core management functions for one or all of the following:
- Ambulance Services - Usually only EMS but may include patient transfer services and may incluse recsue services.
- Fire and Rescue Services - includes fire prevention and suppression, all types of rescue services and HAZMAT response.
- Police Services - including crime prevention, suppression and investigation, uniformed patrol and response, and operates the Crimestoppers Program.
- Emergency Communications - Operates the public interface emergency communications telephone system by providing an Emergency telephone number,
- OEM or Office of Emergency Management - Plans for and operates the Emergency Operations Center during calamities, disasters, special events and emergencies.
- Inspections - usually building safety, which includes construction, electrical et al.
- Animal Control - Usually placed under the DPS due to the occasional need for armed animal control officers, ie the Dogcatcher. This category could also include Wildlife Officers , and Game wardens.
Also known as the Ministry of the Interior or Department of Emergency Services .
At Federal level the closest equivelant is the United States Department of Homeland Security.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details