Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Department of Trade and Industry
The Department of Trade and Industry is a United Kingdom government department.
The department was first formed in 1970 with the merger of the Board of Trade and the Ministry of Technology , creating a new cabinet post of Secretary of State for Trade and Industry. The new department also took over the Department of Employment 's former responsibilities for monopolies and mergers. In January of 1974, the department's responsibilities for energy production were transferred to a newly created Department of Energy. Later the same year, following a Labour Party victory in the general election, the department was split into Department of Trade, Department of Industry and the Department of Prices and Consumer Protection.
In 1983 the departments of Department of Trade and the Department of Industry were reunited.
- Secretary of State for Trade and Industry - The Rt Hon Patricia Hewitt MP
- Minister of State (E-commerce, Energy and Competitiveness) - Mike O'Brien MP
- Minister of State (Trade) - Douglas Alexander MP
- Minister of State and Deputy Minister for Women - Jacqui Smith MP
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary - Nigel Griffiths MP
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary - Gerry Sutcliffe MP
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary - Lord Sainsbury of Turville (unpaid)
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details