Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The city was founded in the beginning of the 18th century specially for workers of the local distillery, which was closed in 1848.
Until 1919, the city was considered a village (as of 1897, its population was 8,500). Until 1972, the city's name was Melekes, from the river's name (Irani Mal uguz slow river).
Since 1972, the city's name is Dimitrovgrad, after the Bulgarian communist Georgi Dimitrov.
Dimitrovgrad's industry includes spare parts factory (carburettors, petrol pumps), carpets factory, chemical equipment factory. The city's main enterprise is the Federal Nuclear Research Center.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details