Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Dirty Pretty Things
Okwe (played by Chiwetel Ejiofor) is a Nigerian doctor who drives a taxicab during the day and watches the front desk of a hotel by night; he also chews stimulants to keep awake and prescribes drugs to men with venereal diseases. Senay (played by Amelie star Audrey Tautou) is a Muslim girl who slaves in a sweatshop under a sexually predatory boss. The two immigrants form a hesitant friendship, but when Fate deals them both bad hands, Senay begins contemplating selling a kidney to get a passport and escape this half-life. Meanwhile, Okwe is pressured to perform that very operation.
The title and the ad campaign implied that the film would be an erotic thriller, but the few sex scenes were anything but arousing and the tone was largely matter-of-fact rather than suspenseful.
- The scene with the toilet is clearly a lift from Gene Hackman's experience in The Conversation.
- When a man asks why he's never seen the immigrants before, Okwe responds: "Because we are the people you do not see. We are the ones who drive your cabs. We clean your rooms. And suck your cocks." This is a homage to Brad Pitt's speech in Fight Club: "Look, the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we drive your ambulances. We connect your calls, we guard you while you sleep. Do not fuck with us."
Cast and roles include
- Chiwetel Ejiofor - Okwe
- Kriss Dosanjh - Asian businessman
- Israel Aduramo - Mini cab driver
- Yemi Ajibade - Mini cab driver
- Nizwar Karanj - Mini cab driver
- Dhobi Oparei - Mini cab driver
- Jeffery Kissoon - Cab Controller
- Zlatko Buric - Ivan
- Audrey Tautou - Senay
- Sophie Okonedo - Juliette
- Sergi López - Sneaky (Juan)
- Benedict Wong - Guo Yi
- Kenan Hudaverdi - Cafe owner
- Damon Younger - Punter
- Paul Bhattacharjee - Mohammed
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details