Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The current palace was largely constructed from 1309 to 1424 on 9th century origins, designed perhaps by Filippo Calendario. Giovanni and Bartolomeo Buon designed and executed the so-called "Porta della Carta", a monumental late-gothic gate on the Piazzetta side of the palace.
It was the residence of the Doge and contained the offices of a number of political institutions. The first floor was occupied by lawyers offices; the Chancellery; the Censors and the Naval Offices. On the second floor were the Grand Council chamber, the Ballot chamber and the Doge's apartments. On the third floor were the Sala del Collegio, where foreign ambassadors were received, and rooms used by the government bodies like the Council of Ten . The building also contains the Bussola chamber, where citizens could submit written complaints; The Sala dei Tre Capi and the State Inquisitor Room.
Perhaps the most spectacular room is the Sala del Maggior Consiglio, originally the meeting place for the legislature. This huge space is lined, walls and ceiling, with paintings, one of which, Tintoretto's vast Paradise, is the largest painting on canvas in the world.
At the rear of the palace is the Bridge of Sighs, connecting to the prison.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details