Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Duntroon, Australian Capital Territory
Given government compensation for the loss of his ship the 'Sydney' while under government charter, Robert Campbell, sent James Ainslie to collect 700 sheep from the government flocks at Bathurst and to go southward looking for suitable pasture.
Ainslie reached the Limestone Plains and sellected a site on the slopes above the Molonglo River where the Royal Military College now stands. Campbell applied for and received his grant, naming it 'Duntroon' after the family castle, Duntrune Castle on Loch Crinan in Argyllshire, Scotland.
In 1833, Campbell built 'Duntroon House' out of stone with wide verandahs. In 1862 Robert's son George added a large two-storey extension. In its final form the house contained twenty rooms and is a great example of colonial architecture. It now serves as the officer's mess for the Royal Military College, Duntroon and is situated in the suburb of Campbell, Canberra.
'Duntroon House' was the centre of activitiy for Campbell's station. Gardens where established around the house including many exotic trees and an intricate maze was grown also a conservatory, orchard, vinyard and dairy farm where built in the surrounding area.
Duntroon was recommened as the site for Australia's Military College by Lord Kitchener, who had been commissioned in 1910 to report on the country's defence needs. Initially the government rented Duntroon for two years before obtaining the title to Duntroon and it's surrounding 360 acres (1.5 km²) through the creation of the Australian Capital Territory.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details