Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Dyspnea (Latin dyspnoea, Greek dyspnoia from dyspnoos - short of breath) or shortness of breath (SOB) is perceived difficulty breathing or pain on breathing. It is a common symptom of a great many disorders, including emphysema, COPD, broken ribs, lung cancer, malignant hypertension, and so forth.
- disorders within the lungs, such as pulmonary hypertension, atelectasis
- disorders in the ribcage, such as kyphosis,
- disorders in adjacent organs
- disorders in the nervous system
- disorders due to drugs and toxins.
Other terms for breathing malfunctions include
- tachypnea, which is too-rapid breathing.
- bradypnea , which is too-slow breathing.
- orthopnea , dyspnea occurring in a recumbent position
- paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea , dyspnea occurring during sleep.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details