Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
East Berlin was the name given to the eastern part of Berlin between 1949 and 1990. It consisted of the Soviet sector of Berlin that was established in 1945. The American, British and French sectors became West Berlin, a de facto part of West Germany.
East Berlin was the capital of East Germany. From August 13, 1961 until November 9, 1989 it was separated from West Berlin by the Berlin Wall. The East Germans called East Berlin just "Berlin" or sometimes "Berlin, Hauptstadt der DDR" (Berlin, capital of the GDR).
East Berlin comprised the boroughs of
- Prenzlauer Berg
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details