Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Ellinikon International Airport
Ellinikon International Airport, sometimes spelt Hellinikon (in Greek Ελληνικόν) was the international airport of Athens for sixty years up until 2001 when it was replaced by Eleftherios Venizelos International Airport. It had two terminals;the west terminal for Olympic Airways and the east terminal for international flights. It had the IATA airport code ATH (which has now been taken over by Venizelos) and the ICAO airport code LGAT.
The airport was built in 1938. Before it was closed it served 12 million passangers per year. On April 2, 1986, TWA Flight 840, which was travelling from Leonardo Da Vinci International Airport near Rome to Ellinikon was bombed, sucking 4 people out of the plane to their deaths. The plane landed safely.
It is bounded by residential houses, beaches in the west and south is wooded trees of the Glyfada Golf Club and the Ellinikon-Glyfada municipal boundary.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details