Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Elstead's relative prosperity over the centuries can be partly attributed to the existence of a large watermill and a significant bridge over the river, parts of which are thought to be around 700 years old.
Elstead Mill, now a restaurant, was occupied by Oliver Cromwell’s ‘roundhead’ army during the English Civil War, but subsequently burnt down. The present structure is therefore thought to date back to the 17th century.
The first known reference to Elstead is in the 1128 foundation charter for Waverley Abbey (sometimes spelt Waverly), where it was called Helestede. The church of St James was built around ten years later. It still contains 13th century windows and some 14th century timbers.
Elstead is surrounded by common land, including Hankley Common which is regularly used by the British Army for training purposes.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details