Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Enigma (musical project)
Enigma is a musical project, that was started by Michael Cretu and his wife Sandra Cretu in 1990. Michael is both the composer and the producer; Sandra often provides vocals on Enigma tracks. The pair have also worked together under the name Sandra.
Enigma was formed by Michael and released their first album, MCMXC a.D. in December 1990. Before the album was released, Michael was cautious of the response towards the upcoming album, decided to forgo mentioning his real name and credited himself as Curly M.C.
Enigma's music evolved from Gregorian chants (MCMXC a.D.) to ethnic chants (The Cross of Changes), to modern sounds and beats (Screen Behind the Mirror, Voyageur). Enigma achieved their first commercial success through the single "Sadeness", which juxtaposed Gregorian chants with elements of overt sexuality in a strange and unusual new way; a great deal of New Age electronica owes its existence to Enigma's first album. "Sadeness" was named Sadeness Part I on its single release in Germany, and Sadness Part I on its single release in England. It is a sensual track, with an insatiable beat, which is based around questioning the sexual desires of the Marquis de Sade, hence the German release name of "Sadeness", as opposed to the English word of Sadness.
The content of Enigma's music ranges from sexuality (Principles of Lust), love (Gravity of Love), and innocence (Return to Innocence). However, Michael himself describes Enigma's music as sensual, not sexual. Every album starts with their signature horn sound mixed into the introductory music.
Michael Cretu is based in Ibiza. Until recently, he ran the "A.R.T Studios" from his mansion in the Ibiza Hills. Michael has now relocated to a purpose built mansion, in Ibiza, and has recently started installing a state-of-the-art recording studio inside one area of the building.
Enigma is under contract by Virgin Records to release a total of eight albums at a rate of one per three years. At the current rate, the last Enigma album will be released in 2012.
[To be written]
Influence of Enigma's music
Songs from Enigma have appeared on notable TV shows and movies, such as Return to Innocence in Man of the House, Beyond the Invisible in La Femme Nikita, RTI and Sadeness in Exit to Eden and Carly's Song and Carly's Loneliness in Sliver. RTI appeared in numerous TV commercials around the world, the theme song in one of Virgin Atlantic's commercials being one of them.
- 1990 – MCMXC a.D. (Virgin Schallplatten GmbH)
- 1993 – The Cross of Changes (Virgin Schallplatten GmbH)
- 1996 – Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi! (Virgin Schallplatten GmbH)
- 1998 – Trilogy (3xCD) (Virgin Schallplatten GmbH)
- 2000 – The Screen Behind the Mirror (Virgin Schallplatten GmbH)
- 2001 – Love Sensuality Devotion: The Greatest Hits (Virgin Schallplatten GmbH)
- 2001 – Love Sensuality Devotion: The Remix Collection (Virgin Schallplatten GmbH)
- 2003 – Voyageur (Virgin Records)
- 1990 – Sadeness Part I (Virgin Schallplatten GmbH)
- 1991 – Mea Culpa Part II (Virgin Records)
- 1991 – Principles of Lust (Virgin Schallplatten GmbH)
- 1991 – The Rivers of Belief (Virgin Records)
- 1993 – Carly's Song (Virgin Records)
- 1993 – Return to Innocence (Virgin Schallplatten GmbH)
- 1994 – Age of Loneliness (Virgin Records)
- 1994 – The Eyes of Truth (Virgin Records)
- 1994 – Out from the Deep (Virgin Records)
- 1996 – Beyond the Invisible (Virgin Schallplatten GmbH)
- 1997 – T.N.T. for the Brain (Virgin Records)
- 1999 – Gravity of Love (Virgin Schallplatten GmbH)
- 2000 – Push the Limits (Virgin Records)
- 2001 – Turn Around (Virgin Schallplatten GmbH)
- 2003 – Voyageur (Virgin Records)
- 2003 – Following the Sun (Virgin/EMI)
- 2004 – Boum-Boum (Virgin Schallplatten GmbH)
Main article: List of Enigma videos
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details