Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The school was founded in 1853 by Dr. John Propert and his, and the medical foundation's, aims were to make the school for orphans and widows of the medical profession. It opened in 1855 as The Royal Medical Benevolent College for around 100 boys. It now has around 700 pupils.
Through the years the school has gone thorugh significant changes. Its main building had succesfully lived through a lot during WW2. Air raid shelters were built on the main lawn which are now covered by grass. The Chapel had been extended.
Originally, a single sex school, the school then let in girls into the 6th form in the 1970s. Subsequently, the school then let in girls into the middle fourth year.
The school recently celebrated its 150th anniversary at the Royal Albert Hall, London .
Current Head Master is Mr. Steven Borthwick.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details