Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The city of Fürth is located in the north of Bavaria, Germany in the district of Middle Franconia. Together with the major cities of Nuremberg and Erlangen and several minor cities, it forms the so called "Middle-Franconian conurbation". As of January 2004 it is populated by about 112.000 inhabitants.
The first village is known at the confluence of the rivers Pegnitz and Rednitz (forming the river Regnitz) since the year 800. This was an advantageous place, for several old trade-routes crossed the rivers here.
The town of Fürth is first mentioned in the year 1007 when Emperor Heinrich II. handed over his property "locum Furti dictum" to the bishop of Bamberg. From then on, authority over Fürth changed several times between the bishop of Bamberg, the Margrave of Ansbach and the ruler of Nuremberg. This constellation is represented in the crest of Fürth, a three-leafed cloverleaf.
In the Thirty Years War the town was burnt down, only a few monuments like the St. Michaels Church survived.
Fürth survived the Second World War without significant damage.
The historical city hall ("Altes Rathaus") is a 19th century reprise of the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence.
Famous people born in Fürth
- http://www.fuerth.de/ - Official Fürth Site
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details