Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Fairborn is located at 39°48'28" North, 84°1'19" West (39.807909, -84.021983).
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 32,052 people, 13,615 households, and 8,019 families residing in the city. The population density is 947.6/km² (2,453.4/mi²). There are 14,419 housing units at an average density of 426.3/km² (1,103.7/mi²). The racial makeup of the city is 87.28% White, 6.27% African American, 0.40% Native American, 3.32% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.53% from other races, and 2.14% from two or more races. 1.69% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 13,615 households out of which 26.7% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.8% are married couples living together, 12.4% have a female householder with no husband present, and 41.1% are non-families. 31.0% of all households are made up of individuals and 8.3% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.28 and the average family size is 2.86.
In the city the population is spread out with 21.0% under the age of 18, 18.4% from 18 to 24, 29.3% from 25 to 44, 19.7% from 45 to 64, and 11.6% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 31 years. For every 100 females there are 94.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 91.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city is $36,889, and the median income for a family is $44,608. Males have a median income of $34,853 versus $25,353 for females. The per capita income for the city is $18,662. 14.1% of the population and 8.9% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 15.5% of those under the age of 18 and 7.7% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
- Fairborn was formed from the union of the two villiages of Fairfield and Osborn. Fairfield was originally founded in 1816 and Osborne in 1851. The two communities merged in 1950 to create the city of Fairborn.
- Fairborn is a quiet town with many working at the nearby Wright Patterson Air Force Base, the home of the Air Force Material Command and widely believed by locals to be the third largest Air Force Base in the world -- and the largest in the USA.
- Many also work at or attend Wright State University, an up-and-coming university that became independent in 1967. From a small cluster of buildings it has grown into a major campus with almost 20,000 students. Though Wright State has a Dayton, Ohio address it is legally within Fairborn jurisdiction and has police officers deputized by the Fairborn police department.
- Fairborn hosts its annual Sweet Corn Festival every August and the USAF marathon every September. It also prides itself on its annual 4th of July Parade.
- Fairborn is also home to the largest and oldest military aviation museum in the world, the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
- Fairborn is home to the fictitious Stalker, one of the original G.I. Joe's.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details