Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956
The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956, popularly known as the National Interstate and Defense Highways Act, officially began on June 29, 1956, when a hospitalized Dwight D. Eisenhower signed this bill into law. Appropriating $25 billion for the constructon of more than 40,000 miles of interstate highways over a ten-year period, it was the largest public works project in American history to that point. The money was handled in a highway trust fund that paid for 90% of highway construction costs with the states required to pay the remaining 10%. It was expected that the money would be generated through new taxes on fuel, automobiles, trucks, and tires.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details