Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
In most areas with a five-day working week, Friday is the last workday before the weekend and is therefore viewed as a cause for celebration or relief, leading to the expression TGIF, an abbreviation for Thank God It's Friday or Thank Goodness It's Friday. (The phrase was popularized by a movie during the 1970s.) Friday is also the inspiration for the restaurant, aptly named, T.G.I. Friday's. In some offices, employees are allowed to wear less formal attire on Fridays, known as Casual Friday or Dress-Down Friday.
- In the popular rhyme, "Friday's Child is loving and giving".
- In the novel Robinson Crusoe, Friday is the name of a Native American cannibal who was saved by the protagonist on a Friday and became his servant.
- Cadbury promoted a chocolate bar with the slogan Thank Crunchie it's Friday.
- In a reference to "TGI Friday", maverick British television host Chris Evans created the television program TFI Friday , its initials supposedly standing for "Thank Four It's" (Four being a reference to Channel 4, the television station) – any other meaning for the F was a matter for the viewer's own imagination.
- Friday is a book by Robert A. Heinlein.
- Friday is also a movie featuring rapper Ice Cube.
In Islam, Friday is the day of public worship in mosques (see Friday prayers. In some Islamic countries, the week begins on Sunday and ends on Saturday, just like the Jewish and Christian week. In others, such as Iran and Afghanistan, the week begins on Saturday and ends on Friday.
In Christianity, the Friday before Easter is celebrated as Good Friday to commemorate the crucifixion of Jesus. Some Christians will refrain from eating meat on Fridays, and will often choose fish instead.
In some cultures, Friday is considered unlucky, especially if this is Friday the 13th, 13 being an unlucky number. This is particularly so in maritime circles; in one (probably untrue) story a Royal Navy ship HMS Friday was laid down on a Friday, launched on a Friday and captained by a Captain Friday and was never heard of again.
Several historical disasters that happened on Fridays are known as Black Friday.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details