Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Gateshead Thunder are a rugby league team from Gateshead in Tyne and Wear. They play their home matches at Gateshead International Stadium. The club was formed in 1999, though rugby league had been played in Gateshead for several years previously. Initially the club went straight into the top flight, playing in Super League.
After one years operation the club controversially merged with Hull Sharks, forming a new club, Hull FC. The new club was based entirely in Hull, and was widely seen as a takeover simply to allow Hull to remain in Super League.
The fans of the Gateshead club set up a campaigning organisation, Thunder Storm, to fight the "merger". Although this proved unsuccessful, it was the catalyst for a new Gateshead Thunder to be formed. This club currently play in the Rugby League National Leagues at League Two level.
- Most tries in a match: 5 by Andy Walker vs London Skolars 22nd June 2003
- Most goals in a match: 11 by Ian Herron vs Wakefield Trinity Wildcats 5 September 1999
- Most points in a match: 26 by Ian Herron vs Wakefield Trinity Wildcats 5 September 1999
- Biggest victory: 66-6 vs Wakefield Trinity Wildcats 5 September 1999
- Worst Defeat: 110-12 at Salford City Red , 23rd March 2003
- Highest attendance: 6,631 vs Bradford Bulls, 16th May 1999
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details