Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The Gattilusio family was the ruling dynasty of the island of Lesbos from 1355 to 1462, when the last prince was strangled on the orders of Sultan Mehmed II. A junior branch of the family ruled Ainos until 1488. The family's origin was Genoese, the founder being a mercenary who assisted John V Palaeologus regain his throne and, as means of payment, received a princedom and the hand of the Emperor's sister, Maria Palaiologina .
Princes of Lesbos
- Francesco I of Lesbos (1355-1384)
- Francesco II of Lesbos (1384-1404)
- Jacopo of Lesbos (1404-1428)
- Dorino of Lesbos (1428-1455)
- Domenico of Lesbos (1455-1458)
- Niccolo of Lesbos (1458-1462)
Princes of Ainos
- Niccolo of Ainos (1355-1409), younger brother of Francesco I.
- Palamede of Ainos (1409-1455), younger brother of Jacopo and Dorino.
- Dorino of Ainos (1455-1488), son of Palamede, ceded his rights to his brother-in-law.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details