Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Glen Burnie, Maryland
The groundwork for Glen Burnie was laid nearly two centuries ago, when, in 1812, a district attorney by the name of Elias Glenn established a county seat near what is currently known as Harlem Park in Baltimore City. He named his property "Glennsburne."
The name was changed to "Glennsbourne Farm," and eventually "Glenburnie," as the property was passed through Glenn's descendants. Records also show the name as "Tracey's Station" and "Myrtle," after local postmaster Samuel Sewell Tracey and one of Tracey's boarders, before the final decision was made.
In 1854, William Wilkins Glenn, Elias Glenn's grandson, incorporated the Curtis Creek Mining, Furnace and Manufacturing Co. into his family's property. The business flourished during the 19th century, and with it came several thousand acres of land in northern Anne Arundel County.
Upon the death of William Wilkins Glenn, his son, brother and nephew began to manage the family's business affairs, and Glenburnie became an official state subdivision in 1888. It wouldn't be until 1930 that postmaster Louis J. DeAlba decided two words were better than one, and gave the town a final name change to the current Glen Burnie.
Building through history
Among the earliest Glen Burnie schools was First Avenue Elementary, built in 1899. The oldest area church is St. Alban's Episcopal, which was built in 1904, with many of its bricks dating back to Marley Chapel, an early Maryland parish from the 1730s. Crain Highway, one of Glen Burnie's main thoroughfares (named after Senator Robert Crain), opened in 1927 and Ritchie Highway (named for Governor Albert C. Ritchie, the state's 52nd governor) followed in 1939.
Schools and churches were built in the ensuing decades and construction was completed on Harundale Plaza, the first enclosed shopping area east of the Mississippi River, in 1958. Glen Burnie Mall followed in 1962. Marley Station, Glen Burnie's most prominent shopping center, opened in the mid-1980s.
Glen Burnie is located at 39°9'36" North, 76°36'38" West (39.159982, -76.610588).
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 38,922 people, 15,210 households, and 9,977 families residing in the CDP. The population density is 1,228.8/km² (3,182.1/mi²). There are 15,902 housing units at an average density of 502.0/km² (1,300.1/mi²). The racial makeup of the CDP is 81.11% White, 13.52% African American, 0.35% Native American, 2.40% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 0.78% from other races, and 1.78% from two or more races. 2.46% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 15,210 households out of which 29.6% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.1% are married couples living together, 13.1% have a female householder with no husband present, and 34.4% are non-families. 27.2% of all households are made up of individuals and 9.3% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.53 and the average family size is 3.07.
In the CDP the population is spread out with 23.7% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 32.3% from 25 to 44, 22.1% from 45 to 64, and 12.9% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 36 years. For every 100 females there are 94.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 92.2 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP is $45,281, and the median income for a family is $51,845. Males have a median income of $35,957 versus $27,078 for females. The per capita income for the CDP is $20,170. 7.7% of the population and 5.9% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 10.2% of those under the age of 18 and 9.1% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details