Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Grand Falls, New Brunswick
Grand Falls (French: Grand-Sault) is a town in New Brunswick, Canada and is also the location of a series of rock ledges over which the St. John River falls in excess of 20 metres. In 1686, Monsignor de Saint-Vallier (of Quebec) was the first known person to mention in writing the magnificent falls for which Grand Falls is named. His words describing the area can be found on a monument erected at the mouth of Davis Park in 1986. The first governor of New Brunswick, Thomas Carleton , established a military post in the area in 1791. The settlement was known as Colebrooke until 1890, when its name was changed to Grand Falls.
Grand Falls is the most billingual town in Canada at 81.5% speaking English and French and is only one of two municipalities in Canada with an official bilingual name, the other is Greater Sudbury. (fr: Grand-Sudbury)
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details