Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Green Township, Hamilton County, Ohio
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township clerk, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the clerkship or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
The township was originally held intact by John Cleves Symmes, with the apparent intent of naming it as the academy township for his purchase. In 1802 a court order awarded half the township to one of his Miami company invetors, Elias Boudinot. This became part of the disputes over the entire Symmes Purchase.
The township occupies gently rolling hills above the Ohio river basin, and northwest of downtown Cincinnati. As of 1990, over 50% of the township's area has been was converted to urban use, largely as a suburb of Cincinnati; 38% is classed as forrested, and 11% as farmland.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details