Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Guernsey Airport is the only airport in the island of Guernsey . It is located in the Forest (a parish in Guernsey), its IATA airport code is GCI and its ICAO Airport Code is EGJB. It has one runway. Guernsey Airport was officially opened on 5 May 1939. However, regular air services commenced on October 1946.
In 2004, a new terminal was built. It became operational on 19 April 2004. However, to make way for the new terminal, the old terminal was demolished in May 2004. The new terminal can, in therory, handle 1.25 million passengers per year.
In 2000, 884,284 passengers and 56,784 aircraft passed through the airport. 71% of the aircraft were commercial aircraft and 27% were general aviation.
At first, there were four grass runways, with lengths ranging from 2040 ft to 3060 ft. Then, in 1960, a new tarmacked runway, which was 4800 ft long was opened. It is still in use today.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details