Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The Ha'penny Bridge (known later for a time as the Penny Ha'penny Bridge) is a pedestrian bridge built in 1816 over the River Liffey in Dublin, Ireland. Originally called the Wellington Bridge (after the Duke of Wellington), the bridge got its now ubiquitous name from both its distinct shape and the original toll of one halfpenny (later, one penny, two farthings). The toll was dropped in 1919; before this, turnstiles lay on either side of it.
The bridge was originally built from cast iron, which has a great tendency to decay with age. This was especially evident in the side rails, which had begun to rust badly. From 2001 to 2003 the bridge was closed for repair and renovations, and was reopened sporting a new white colour instead of black, and a resupported structure containing as many of the old components of the bridge as possible.
- Irish Architecture page on the Ha'penny Bridge
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details