Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Hamilton is the capital of Bermuda. Although there is a parish of the same name, the city of Hamilton is in the parish of Pembroke. The city is named after Bermuda's first governor Sir Henry Hamilton.
In spite of being the administrative capital of Bermuda, Hamilton only has a permanent population of approximately 969, although some estimates have it as high as 1,500. Hamilton is the only incorporated city in Bermuda, but actually is smaller than the historic Town of St. George. A more representative measure of Bermuda population tends to be by parish.
Hamilton history began in 1790 when the Bermuda Government set aside 145 acres (587,000 m²) for the future seat of Bermuda government. The city was officially incorporated in 1793 by an Act of Parliament.
- City of Hamilton Bermuda Island.net's detailed History
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details