Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Hamtaro (Japanese: とっとこハム太郎 Tottoko Hamutaro) is a children's anime television program whose main character is the eponymous hamster named Hamtaro (Hamutaro in the original Japanese). The anime is based on Ritsuko Kawai 's animated storybooks. Hamtaro is licensed by ShoPro Entertainment in North America.
Supporting characters include other hamsters. Hamtaro is owned by a girl named Laura Haruna (Hiroko Haruna or "Roko-chan" in the original Japanese). The show also features the household's dog, Brandy (Burandon or "Don-chan" in the Japanese series). This television program teaches children about sharing, adventures, and real life situations.
List of main hamsters
The English name is listed first, then the Japanese name in Kana/Kanji and romaji in the brackets, followed by extra info on the characters.
- Hamtaro (Japanese name: ハム太郎 Hamutarō, sometimes ハム太郎くん Hamutarō-kun) - Owned by Laura
- Bijou (Japanese name: リボンちゃん Ribon-chan) - Owned by Maria
- Boss (Japanese name: 大将君 or タイショーくん Taishō-kun) - a field hamster
- Oxnard (Japanese name: こうしくん Kōshi-kun) - Owned by Kana
- howdy (Japanese name: まいどくん Maido-kun) - Owned by Goldie
- Dexter (Japanese name: めがねくん Megane-kun) - Owned by Curtis
- Pashmina (Japanese name: マフラーちゃん Mafura-chan) - Owned by June
- Penelope (Japanese name: ちびまるちゃん Chibimaru-chan) - Owned by Kylie
- Maxwell (Japanese name: のっぽくん Noppo-kun) - Owned by the eldest son of a bookstore owner.
- Sandy (Japanese name: トラハムちゃん Torahamu-chan) - Owned by Hillary
- Stan (Japanese name: トラハムくん Torahamu-kun) - Owned by Noel
- Snoozer (Japanese name: ねてるくん Neteru-kun) - a field hamster
- Panda (Japanese name: パンダくん Panda-kun) - Owned by Mimi
- Cappy (Japanese name: かぶるくん Kaburu-kun) - Owned by Kip and Sue
- Jingle (トンガリくん Tongari-kun) - a field hamster
- Lapis (Japanese name: ラピスちゃん Rapisu-chan, pronounced as Lapis-chan ) - owner unknown, not yet made television debut outside Japan.
- Lazuli (Japanese name: ラズリーちゃん Razuri-chan pronounced as Lazuli-chan) - owner unknown, not yet made television debut outside Japan.
Other supporting hamsters
There are plenty of supporting hamsters that have appeared on the show. Some of them one-time, others (like Elder Ham (長老ハム), Auntie Viv (Ohamubaa-san, おハムばあさん), Sparkle (Kururin-chan, くるりんちゃん), Bo (Nijihamu-kun, にじハムくん), etc.) are recurring. To see a list of the supporting characters alongside the main ones, check the Japanese Hamtaro character guides.
Humans and other characters
- Laura Haruna (春名ヒロ子, Haruna Hiroko or ロコちゃん, Roko-chan) - The owner of Hamtaro.
- Brandy (ブランドン, Burandon or どんちゃん, Don-chan) - Laura's dog.
World airing information
- In Japan on TV Tokyo and it's affiliates.
- In the United States on the Cartoon Network
- In Canada on YTV
- In the United Kingdom on Fox Kids
- In Germany on RTL 2
- In Continental Europe on Fox Kids
- In Latin America on Cartoon Network LA (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico)
- In the Philippines on ABS-CBN
- In Malaysia (and possibly Brunei) on NTV7 (It may be possible that Brunei viewers also get Hamtaro on NTV7 via the Kristal-ASTRO satellite service)
- In Thailand on Channel 7 and UBC
- In Indonesia on RCTI
- In Singapore on Channel I over Starhub cable (previously known as Singapore Cable Vision). Also aired for a short time over TCS Central . Those who live near the borders the might be able to get Hamtaro on NTV7 and/or RCTI as well
- In Hong Kong on TVB Jade
- In Australia on Cartoon Network Pacific . Also aired for a short time over Channel 10
- In New Zealand on Cartoon Network Pacific and TV3 New Zeland
- Shogakukan: Ritsuko Kawai's books, other Hamtaro related titles, Japanese videos/DVDs
- Columbia Music Entertainment : Japanese music CDs
- Epoch Co. Ltd. : Plushes, collectible toy line, talking toys, musical toys, standalone electronic games (for the Japanese/Asian market only, but can also be found in some import stores throughout The US and Europe)
- Hasbro: plushies, collectable toy line (for the American/European market only, but can also be found in some import stores throughout Asia)
- The Learning Company: for the IBM PC/PC compatibles/Apple Macintosh
- Nintendo: video games -
- For the Game Boy Color: Hamtaro (Unreleased in the US/Rest of the World),
- For the Game Boy Advance: , , , Hamtaro E-Cards for the E-Card reader(Japanese market only).
- Sega: Arcade painting game, Sega Pico titles (Japanese market only), Cocopad titles (Japanese market only)
- Banpresto: Arcade kiddie ride
- Smuckers: Smucker's Snacker's
- Viz Communications:English books, comics, videos/DVDs
- Seiko: Limited Edition watches
The full list of licensees can be found on both the Japanese and American Hamtaro websites.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details