Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Hanko, (Hangö in Swedish) in Finland is a small bilingual port town on the south coast of Finland, 130 kilometers west of Helsinki. The town was founded in 1874. Its current population is 10,008 (2002), with 44.8% being Finland-Swedish.
The Hanko Peninsula, on which the town is located, is the southernmost tip of continental Finland.
The Hangon Regatta has been a traditional fixture on the Finnish social scene. Many people who have very little or no interest in sailing, attend nevertheless in order to party and absorb the atmosphere.
Soviet naval base
Following the armistice of the Finnish Winter War on March 6, 1940, Hanko was leased to the Soviet Union as a military base for a period of 50 years. During the Continuation War, Soviet troops were forced to evacuate Hanko in early December 1941. The Soviet Union renounced the lease formally in the Paris peace treaty of 1947. As a curiosity, it can be noted that the short Russo-Finnish front across the base of the peninsula on the Finnish side was held by volunteer troops from Sweden.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details