Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The store has an estimated five acres (20,000 m²) of floorspace over five floors. The Harrods motto is Omnia Omnibus Ubique - All Things, For All People, Everywhere. The nearest tube station to the Knightsbridge shop is Knightsbridge.
Harrods started off in London's East End at the beginning of Queen Victoria's reign. In 1835, Charles Henry Harrod , a tea merchant and grocery wholesaler, set up shop across the road from his home in Stepney. Harrod was worried by a cholera epidemic sweeping London and he knew a businessman who wanted to get out of a lease on a grocery store in Knightsbridge. So the shop was moved in 1849 to what was then semi-rural Brompton Road.
As Knightsbridge grew Harrods grew with it and several adjoining buildings were taken over by the shop.
The store underwent a major transformation in 1861 when it was taken over by Harrod's son, Charles Digby Harrod .
In 1959 the House of Fraser bought Harrods.
Harrods has been targeted by the Irish Republican Army three times. The first of these was on 15 December 1974 with an incendiary bomb placed inside the store on the first floor in the corner nearest the tube exit. The most serious incident was on December 17, 1983, when the explosion from a car bomb killed six people and injured ninety. Harrods re-opened three days later despite the damage.
The store was bought by the al-Fayed brothers in 1985 for £615 million, since when the selling space has enlarged to include previously staff-only and storage areas in the basement and top floors.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details