Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Hartford County, Connecticut
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 857,183 people, 335,098 households, and 222,505 families residing in the county. The population density is 450/km² (1,166/mi²). There are 353,022 housing units at an average density of 185/km² (480/mi²). The racial makeup of the county is 76.90% White, 11.66% Black or African American, 0.23% Native American, 2.42% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 6.43% from other races, and 2.31% from two or more races. 11.55% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 335,098 households out of which 31.30% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.20% are married couples living together, 13.50% have a female householder with no husband present, and 33.60% are non-families. 27.90% of all households are made up of individuals and 10.70% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.48 and the average family size is 3.05.
In the county the population is spread out with 24.60% under the age of 18, 7.80% from 18 to 24, 29.80% from 25 to 44, 23.20% from 45 to 64, and 14.70% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 38 years. For every 100 females there are 92.70 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 89.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county is $50,756, and the median income for a family is $62,144. Males have a median income of $43,985 versus $33,042 for females. The per capita income for the county is $26,047. 9.30% of the population and 7.10% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 12.90% of those under the age of 18 and 7.60% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
Cities, towns, and villages*
- -- Kensington (a village of Berlin)
- --Blue Hills (a village of Bloomfield)
- --Canton Valley (a village of Canton)
- --Collinsville (a village of Canton)
- East Granby
- East Hartford
- East Windsor
- --Broad Brook (a village of East Windsor)
- -- Hazardville (a village of Enfield)
- -- Sherwood Manor (a village of Enfield)
- -- Southwood Acres (a village of Enfield)
- --Glastonbury Center (a village of Glastonbury)
- --North Granby (a village of Granby)
- --Salmon Brook (a village of Granby)
- --Central Manchester (a village of Manchester)
- --Terramuggus (a village of Marlborough)
- New Britain
- Rocky Hill
- --Simsbury Center (a village of Simsbury)
- --Tariffville (a village of Simsbury)
- --Weatogue (a village of Simsbury)
- --West Simsbury (a village of Simsbury)
- South Windsor
- --Suffield Depot (a village of Suffield)
- --Thompsonville (a village of Suffield)
- West Hartford
- Windsor Locks
* Villages are census division, but have no separate corporate existence from the towns they are in.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details