Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Henry Holland (architect)
Henry Holland (July 20, 1745 - June 17, 1806) was an architect to the English nobility who trained under Capability Brown and later married his daughter. Sir John Soane was one of his students. Holland began his career by designing Brooks's Club, St James's (1776-78), and went on to work on the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, and the Royal Opera House.
In 1777, he began the Hans Town development on 89 acres (360,000 m²) of open field and marsh leased from the Cadogan family. There he laid out laid out parts of Knightsbridge and Chelsea, including Sloane Street and Sloane Square, and Hans Place, Street and Crescent, and they quickly became fashionable. From 1802, he converted York House on Piccadilly into the Albany apartments.
Holland perhaps best remembered for the original Marine Pavilion (1786–87) at Brighton, Sussex, designed for the prince regent, later King George IV. This and the celebrated remodeling of Carlton House, London (1783), exemplified his dignified neoclassicism, which contrasted with the more lavish style of his great contemporary Robert Adam.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details