Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Coat of Arms of Karelia
The Coat of Arms of Karelia were first used in 1562 although the arms were probably presented at the burial of Gustav Vasa in 1560. The arms were used for the Swedish province of Karelia and they have been used continously since then. Variations of the arms are still used in the two regions of Finland North Karelia and South Karelia.
The blazon for the arms may be translated as follows: A golden crown above two duelling arms, the right guantleted arm holding a sword and the left mailed arm a scimitar, all silver except for golden hafts and gauntlet joint. Ducal coronet.
The two hands holding a sword and a scimitar are generally seen as symbol of Karelias position between the Swedish and Russian realms. The Coat of Arms of Finland use the sword and scimitar in a similar manner.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details