Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Hiawatha National Forest
Hiawatha National Forest is a National Forest in the Upper Peninsula of the state of Michigan in the United States. It covers 880,000 acres (3,600 km²) and contains 6 designated wilderness areas. Commercial logging is conducted in some areas. It is divided into two units, Eastside and Westside. The east unit was a large barren sandy area that was never homesteaded or developed and was designated Marquette National Forest by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1909. This land was administered with Huron National Forest as the Michigan National Forest from 1918 to 1962 when it was transferred to Hiawatha. The forest was authorized to buy an additional 307,000 acres (1,240 km²) in 1925 and 50,000 acres (200 km²) in 1935. The West unit began purchasing in 1928 and was designated Hiawatha Naional Forest in 1931. This unit was extensively replanted by the CCC.
The forest has over 100 miles (160 km) of shoreline. Both East and West units have shoreline on both Lake Superior and Lake Michigan; the East unit also has shoreline on Lake Huron. The West unit also borders Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Grand Island National Recreation Area , which is administered by the Forest Service. Several lighthouses are within the forest.
The North Country Trail passes through the forest.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details