Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Hip hop slang
Hip hop slang is a varied accumulation of slang terms that changes frequently and is parallel to the evolution and use of hiphop. Much of its lexicon is drawn from African American Vernacular English.
Used to shorten, alter, or change the sound of a word. Often used for ease of rhyming or to fit into rhythm, such as placing emphasis on the "O" vowel (ex. POlice), while dropping the end consonants (eg. foo for fool). Can also be used as self referential humor, by adopting a known variation in pronunciation used in local or regional settings, movies or popular media, dialects, accents, etc, with the end result of an intentional adopted spelling of this pronunciation.
- aight, aite, aw-ite - all right
- aks - ask I want to axe you a question
- befo' - before I told you this befo’
- biatch - bitch
- da' - the He's da' man.
- dat - that I love dat.
- dis - this I love dis.
- down - I'm up for it. I'm down.
- fiddy, fitty - fifty He's fiddy years old.
- flava - flavor
- flow - to rap, can also be used as a noun, ...listen to my flow...
- flo' - floor
- fo'(1)- For This is fo' my Aunt.
- fo'(2) - The number four. Can also refer to twenty-four inch rims.
- fo'(3) - Short for before, or any -fore suffix.
- ho - prostitute, short for "whore"
- holla - holler, to make contact via phone, sms, or any other media.
- lil' - little
- mo' - more I can't stand it no mo’
- moo' - move moo’ over there for me
- mo'fo' - mother fucker
- 'sup - what's up
- wif - with
- w.t.f. - What the Fuck?
Spelling that alters letters in a word but results in roughly the same pronunciation. The intent is to place more emphasis on a part of the word than in the traditional pronunciation.
- becoz - because
- boi - boy
- nethin - anything
- phat - very cool
fine - dandy
Two or more words are combined creating a Portmanteau for ease of pronunciation, or to reduce the total number of syllables.
- busta - snitch; "you's a busta"
- fugly - Fucking Ugly; She looks fugly
- hella - Hell of, very; He's hella cool.
Uses part of a word to represent an entire word.
- 1 time - the local police
- bluh - a citation: friend, homie, etc; what up bluh? / slurred pronunciation of "blood"
- cuz - Short for because
- cuz(2) - A citation (what's up cuz?) / cousin, especially in Crip slang; He's my cuz
- feds - short for Federal Agents, refers to cops or other law enforcement agencies
- po' - poor, He's too po' to afford a house.
- popo - cops, short for police
- sitch - situation
The ending of a word is removed, and replaced with a new suffix used as a substitute, much like Pig Latin. This particular style was originated by Frankie Smith with his 1982 nonsense single "The Double-Dutch Bus". Rapper Snoop Dogg has popularized this form of slang in recent years.
- bizzle - bitch
- fizzle - can be female, fuck, flatulate or any number of words starting with F
- gizzle - gay
- hizouse - mentioned by Chef in South Park, also a word for house, "so we started call it hizzle, then they called it hizzle, then we called it hizouse, then they started callin' it that, so now we call it our flippity flopty floo"
- hizzle(1) - house
- hizzle(2) - hook, as in "Off the hook"
- nizzle - nigga
- rizzle - real
- shiznit - shit
- shizzle - sure
- tizzle - tizzy, a state of agitation or nervousness.
- whistle - penis
- wigity - wack
- bail - leave I'm gonna bail
- be - are, am, is - usually refers to location I be over here or He be sleeping right now.
- bent - intoxicated
- buck - to leave
- buggin' - acting in a manner which is not socially acceptable.
- bumpin' - to one's liking
- busta cap - to shoot a gun
- busta move - to act quickly, or to perform a dance move
- bust out(1) - to leave, to exit. He busted out of the club.
- bust out(2) - to show or introduce something. "He busted out a deck of playing cards from his coat pocket."
- bounce - to leave We finna bounce.
- chillin' - relaxing
- cookin' brownies - White person tanning
- dancing to a different beat - not dancing to the same beat as the general populous
- dayton's army - to take a shit, then have a shower right after.
- deuce(1)- ugly girl
- deuce(2)- a shit Im gon' go drop a deuce
- dime - hot girl
- diss - to show disrespect His essay dissed my original thesis.
- feeding the overweight mule - putting gas in your car
- fittin' or fixin' - going to do something I'm fittin' to buy me some cigarettes.
- funk-windlin' - to be carrying a gang coloured hankerchief
- to gag, gaggin' - in shock, not believing "They gag when they saw me!"
- gank - to steal He ganked my car.
- ghost - to leave quietly and quickly We gotta ghost.
- hatin' - to criticize
- jet - leave We gotta jet.
- lunchin' - behaving erratically
- mean daniel - oral sex, "girl gave me a mean daniel"
- mean suzy - to douche, "that bitch could use a mean suzy"
- murk(1) - to leave I'm finna murk, PEACE.
- murk(2) - to kill I'm going to murk this clown.
- pajawa - to smack someone in the face with your penis
- roll out - to leave
- scrap - to fight We scrapped in the back yard.
- spit - see flow.
- spittin game - flirting.
- swaggin' lor - evading the law
- blind Timothy - uncircumcised penis
- booty - buttocks, especially female
- bufferin Tupperware - prosthetic legs
- DSL's - Dick Suckin Lips
- gooch - perineum
- guns - Muscular arms
- puntang, poontang, punanny, pooty, poot, pouch, pussy - female genitalia
- pz - peace
- tough buckets - bad hearing, "stupid mofo's got tough buckets or summin"
Brand Names and Commercial Trademarks
- Benz - Short for Mercedes-Benz, known for luxury automobiles
- Caddy - a Cadillac car ridin' Caddy
- Cristal - Roederer Cristal , a brand of champagne
- Dom P. - Dom Perignon, a brand of champagne
- Henny, Hen - Hennessy, a brand of cognac
- Lex - Short for Lexus, a brand of luxury automobiles, also short for 'Rolex' a brand of luxury watches.
- 'Slade - Cadillac Escalade
- Timbs - Timberland boots
- bub - short for bubbly, i.e. champagne
- chum shakers - gold-plated chopsticks
- kazoo - toothbrush
- nobby Gibble-ties - shoes that are no longer in style
- platinum kazoo - electric toothbrush
- rims - the wheels of a vehicle, often customized, replacing the manufacturer wheels with an appealing design or "bling-bling" appearance. Size is important; generally twenty to twenty-four inch rims denote luxury or extra expense
- whip - car
- 10:30, tweaker time - time to take smoke, snort, inject methamphetamine (compare 4:20)
- Bon Jovi'in - extremely high
- crunk - drunk and high at the same time (the word comes from a compression of "crazy" and "drunk")
- dub - a twenty dollar bag (also refers to twenty inch rims)
- hydro - indoor grown marijuana
- morning violence - the act of taking a shit after you have been doing drugs or drinking the night before
- open up shop - to go and sell drugs
- playing with the Asian barbie - doing heroin
- popsicle jones - craving for crystal meth
- the sandwich dance - addicted to drugs
- stuffed truffles - needles
Drug Term Synonyms
- blunt - mac, bleazy
- dream catcher, ice, ice cream, jib, meth, method - crystalized methamphetamine
- blow, girl, heezy, the honky horse, powder, shnazal, snow, yay, yayo, yeo - cocaine
- rock, vietnamese bean-wax - crack cocaine
- nick, nickel, nickelbag, nickelsack - five dollar "bag" of illicit drugs
- smack, boy - heroin
- weed, herb, bhudda, shwag, mota, bud, mary jane, dodo, green, fire, smoke, peace stick, watar, bluntos, bud, chronic, doja, banga, ganja, dank, sticky icky, indo, talkin' turtle, hootith - marijuana
- dime, dimebag, dimesack - ten dollar "bag" of illicit drugs
- BG - Baby Gangsta, one who is a gangsta but never shot anyone, or a guy who hasn't got his own car.
- bum rush - To crash into a show hoping to see it for free.
- bum rushed - attacked, or to be beaten up by a gang. Originates from the stampede of gangsters that attempt to escape from a police raid by beating the policemen up.
- chubby doctor - gang leader
- corned beef & ham salad - proof of deaths of rival gang members
- crab - Derogatory term towards a Crip gangster
- cuzz - Crip
- dirty patrick - local drug dealer
- gangsta - member of a street gang
- a man in pants with small pockets - mafia member
- mumbo jumbo - spoken lies during a business transaction " An eighth for a brown? Dis' pussy ass waffle puffin' punk is talkin mumbo jumbo"
- OG - Original Gangster, one who has shot someone before
- loc (pronounced loke ) - a term describing the level of gangster That nigga is loced out gangsta
- P.H.D. - Player Hater Degree
- playa - (1) someone who is non-monogamous; (2) someone who's really in, someone who's got a lot of respect
- playa hata - One who hates others for having more than they do.
- punk - someone who does not show respect
- slob - Derogatory term towards a Blood gangster
- thug - a young person who is caught up in the urban lifestyle
- wanksta - a fake gangster popularized by the song 50 Cent - Wanksta
- cap - bullet
- G - Gangsta
- gat - an automatic weapon, especially a machine pistol
- Lackalacka Moomoo - Big shirt under which one can hide your piece
- processed cheese - cap gun, or artificial look-alike of an authentic gun, mainly used in armed robberies to fool merchants
- strapped up - holding a gun
- biscuit, bulge, heat, MAC-10, Mac, pasta, piece, pistol, ruger - pistol
Synonyms for Types of Guns
- 9-mm handgun - nine, nina
- 22-caliber gun - Deuce Deuce
- 40-caliber gun - 4 pounda
- 44-caliber gun - 44
- 45-caliber gun - Fo'Five
- Desert Eagle - Desert Eaze
- AR-15 - ar
- AK-47 - k, ak
- shotgun - pump, shotty
- areous - area
- bodega - corner store
- crib - place of residence
- hood - neighborhood
- my room - universal signal that you still live with your parents
- the shops - a mall; somewhere to go shopping
- yard - home
- coffee table - home
- 2 - a shit
- 187 - Homicide
- 213 - from, of, or referring to a southern California (telephone) area code
- 24/7 - all day hustle
- 305 - Miami Florida (M.I.A., Dirty Dirty, Dirty South, Bottom Of The Map)
- 313 - from, of, or referring to a Detroit (telephone) area code. Popularized in the movie 8 mile by Eminem.
- 411 - information, from the telephone directory service in the US
- 420 - Number-Code for Marijuana.
- 5-0 - In reference to the police (as in the television show Hawaii Five-O) or the 5 liter Ford Mustang
- 561 - West Palm Beach Florida (P.B.C,) Most Gangsta County
- 730 - the code for crazy
- 806 - Lubbock, Texas
- 808 - In reference to the Roland TR-808 drum machine.
- 817 - Telephone area code for Fort_Worth,_Texas (funkytown, murderworth, and partyworth)
- 10:30 - tweaker time, time to smoke, snort, inject meth (same as 4:20 but for tweak)
- 727 - Clearwater, Florida (CLdub, CLW )
- 850 - Tallahasse, Florida (T-town, Tallyho, Tally)
- 403 - Calgary, Alberta
- African chicken bucket - piece of ass (flor de culo)
- a can of whoop ass - a can of refried beans
- beaten sandals - a dope cd
- ballin' - perceived to be doing very well, as far as money goes; "I'd explain the definition of ballin' to you white folks... but naw"
- Benjamins - Refers to 100$ bills after the American statesman Benjamin Franklin, whose face is on them. "It's all about the benjamins".
- brown - $100 bill
- brown belt - once one has experienced anal sex, he has achieved his "brown belt"
- bling bling - expensive jewelry or other expensive material possessions, refers to the imaginary sound of glistening metal or other shiny surfaces.
- straight blingin' - made of or decorated with tinsel; glittering metal foil.
- Bo Janglin' – stupid, not paying attention
- busted - ugly Nigga, yo' girl is BUSTED
- dope - cool, tight
- dime - a very attractive woman, a "ten" on a scale of one-to-ten
- fan-tatty bagging - fine girl "that bitch is fan-tatty bagging"
- fly - appealing She is so fly.
- koolin' it - kickin' it. chilling.
- fishing for pirates - acting inappropriately. "that foo' is fishing for pirates, mackin' on my DSLs."
- kickin' - appealing Those rims are kickin.
- puffin' waffles - to be gay dude must be puffin' waffles
- pussy - a male putdown; lil' punk ass bitch
- straight - okay
- stroke the imaginary lady - make yourself dinner
- the sunken ship knows no mercy - (no record of where this phrase came from)
- tight - attractive Your car is tight.
- wack (or whack) - not to one's liking This relationship is totally wh/wack.
- ba-donka-donk - an incredibly attractive ass
- wallop dangle - a fight
- baby mamma - referring to the mother of one's child, specifically not referring to one's wife, and often not referring to one's current girlfriend
- bitch - girlfriend
- boo - boy/girlfriend, beau
- boys - gang friends
- brotha - a male acquaintance
- crew - One's good friends (similar to boys)
- dogg - close friend. It conveys a sense of solidarity, friendship and usually fierce loyalty. This spelling variation probably originated from Hip Hop legend Snoop Dogg, whom with it is virtually synonymous.
- funky fog chocolate - a good friendship; me and charlie gooch are like funky fog chocolate
- haps - mother
- hoodrat - girl with loose morals
- homie, homey, homeboy - friend
- jigga - a rapper of limited skill ( ironically also nickname for rapper Jay-Z)
- nig-nugget - a friend of a younger age
- niglet - a child
- peeps - people, acquantainces
- shorty - girl, or girl on the side
- folk - southern slang for friend or acquaintance
- whoady - friend (once common in the south, now deprecated.)
- boodle, booty, bread, cabbage, clams, craft, dinero, dough, gelt, kale, lettuce, lolly, lucre, loot, moolah, mozza, pelf, scratch, shekels, simoleons, sugar, wampum, Jewish, scrilla - Money
- Jakes, fuzz - police
- jonx - belongings
- junk - stuff, belongings, male or female genitalia
- starching the bronze weasel - buying groceries
- lowckin - checking out the scene
- Alabama pork machine - cellular phone
- da bomb - the bomb, i.e. cool, appealing, or popular
- fo shizzle my nizzle - for sure (my nigga)
- Elvis has left the building - this is said after a shit which somewhat resembles the appearance of the late Elvis is flushed
- my bad - my mistake
- off the hook, off the chain - Unbelievable, outrageous, wild, etc.
- peace out - good bye
- pubic diesel - Bull Max Malt Liquor
- rise up, foo - "bring it on." I am prepared to fight.
- what's goin' down? - what are we doing tonight ? teach a lesson, to win a confrontation
- what tha dilly yo? - what is going on?
- what up? - hello, how are you?
- word up - got that straight, that's right or how's it going
- cracker - white male
- huzzizzle - Combination of "huzzah" and "foshizzle", used for celebratory reasons
The single Ebonics by rapper Big L (Lamont Coleman)
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details