Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Hoggs Hollow is named after James Hogg, a Scotsman who settled in the area in 1824. Hogg operated a whisky distillery and a grist mill, and was viewed as the most successful of all the millers in the valley. The name is usually written without the apostrophe as Hoggs Hollow, but sometimes appears as Hogg's Hollow.
In 1856, John and William Hogg, sons to the late James Hogg, subdivided their father's estate under the name "Hoggs Hollow". The Hoggs Hollow subdivision included one hundred and forty-one lots. Only a few houses were actually built at this time, however.
Subdivision of the present day Hoggs Hollow neighbourhood began in the 1920s. The neighbourhood grew in stages and was finally completed in the 1960s.
Hoggs Hollow was connected to Toronto by the Yonge St. streetcar until it was replaced by the Toronto Transit Commission's Yonge Subway in the early 1970s. Hoggs Hollow is now served by the York Mills subway station.
Hoggs Hollow was a part of the City of North York until 1998 when that city merged with five other municipalities and a regional government to form the new "City of Toronto".
The Jolly Miller tavern, circa 1857, located at the bottom of Hoggs Hollow Hill, 3885 Yonge Street, was closed for many years, and has just re-opened in 2003 after many battles between developers, the city and groups that wanted to preserve the historical landmark. The George S. Pratt House, circa 1886, located at 17 Mill Street, is another historic landmark in Hoggs Hollow.
Home listing prices range from C$2,000,000 to C$4,000,000 in Hoggs Hollow.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details