Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Houghton on the Hill
Houghton on the Hill is a village lying six miles to the east of Leicester, in the East Midlands, United Kingdom. The A47 trunk road to East Anglia runs through the north section of the village. Its population is around 2,000 and includes a school, CofE and a Methodist chapel and protestant church, two public houses, and a small number of shops. There are hourly bus services to Leicester and Uppingham, but no other public transport; most residents are car owners. There used to be a railway that ran through Ingarsby, approximately two miles north of Houghton. Its station was named 'Ingarsby for Houghton on the Hill' owing to its use by commuters from the larger village. The railway line and station were closed in 1954, but both the station building and the station master's house remain in Ingarsby, having been converted to residential properties. The most notable sign of the railway's existence is a long unused rail tunnel which it ran through, this is notable because they only demolished one side, leaving only one entry point behind. An entry is recorded in the Domesday book; many of Houghton's residents commute to Leicester, Uppingham (in rutland) or other nearby towns.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details