Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Imperial Tobacco PLC is the largest cigarette manufacturer in the UK, second largest in Germany and fourth worldwide, following its purchase of Reemtsma Zigarettenfabriken , adding brands such as Davidoff, Peter Stuyvesant and West to its line-up. The company's headquaters are in Bristol, England.
Imperial Tobacco was created in 1901 from a merger of a number of British tobacco and cigarette companies who were being threatened by competition from the United States. The original merger was between W.D. & H.O. Wills of Bristol and Stephen Mitchel & Son of Glasgow. Later mergers swallowed Lambert & Butler , Wm Clarke & Son , John Player & Sons, Franklyn Davey company , Edwards Ringer , J & F Bell and F & J Smith .
The company's first chairman was William Henry Wills of the Wills company.
- Davidoff - its leading premium brand
- John Player Special (JPS)
- Lambert & Butler - the UK's top selling brand
- Peter Stuyvesant
- Prima - a cheap Eastern European brand
- R1 - a very low tar & nicotine brand
- Route 66
- West - its leading brand
- Drum (Van Nelle)- world's #1 roll-your-own tobacco brand
- Rizla - world's #1 rolling paper brand
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details