Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The Abbey was first used as a priory by Augustinian monks, becoming a full abbey in 1235. The island was attacked by the English from 1296 onwards, and the Abbey was abandoned in 1560. It has since been used for defensive purposes, as it is situated in a strategically important position in the middle of the Firth of Forth.
A medieval inscription carved above the abbey's entrance reads: Stet domus haec donec fluctus formica marinos ebibat, et totum testudo permabulet orbem. ("May this house stand until an ant drains the flowing sea, and a tortoise walks around the whole world")
- Historic Scotland's page on the abbey
- Cyberscotia's page on the island - including maps, drawings, and photographs
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details