Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Jaron is probably best known for coining the term "Virtual Reality" in the early 1980's. At that time, he founded VPL Research, the first company to sell VR products.
Jaron taught at several computer science departments of universities around the country, including Columbia, Dartmouth, and Yale. He recently was the lead scientist for the National Tele-Immersion Initiative, an effort devoted to utilizing computer technology to give people (whom are separated by great distances) the illusion that they are physically together. However, Jaron holds no academic degrees.
Works in progress
Technology and the Future of the Human Soul
- Voices from the Edge: Conversations With Jerry Garcia, Ram Dass, Annie Sprinkle, Matthew Fox, Jaron Lanier, & Others— by David Jay Brown, Rebecca McClen Novick
- Artificial Stupidity : Virtual reality pioneer Jaron Lanier says computers are too dumb to take over the world. A Salon.com Feature story [HTML] by Damien Cave (Author) Publisher: Salon.com, ISBN B00005NGP0
- Info Is an Alienated Expense Basic Books (October 2003) ISBN 0465032826
what keeps jaron lanier awake? http://www.wholeearthmag.com/ArticleBin/111-5.pdf
- Synthetic Pleasures (1996)—VHS English
- Instruments of Change
- Jaron Lanier's Homepage
- Edge: JARON LANIER
- 'Finding Humanity in the Interface: Capacity Atrophy or Augmentation?' A debate between Jaron Lanier and Will Wright from the Accelerating Change 2004 conference.
- Video of Jaron Lanier speaking at a Film Festival
- Video of Jaron Lanier's "McLuhan Ramp" Lecture
- Interview with Jaron Lanier on Music
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details