Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
- For other meanings of the word Jericho, see: Jericho (disambiguation)
- Prior to Moses' death, God is described as showing him the Promised Land in the Book of Deuteronomy with Jericho as a point of reference: "And Moses went up from the plains of Moab unto mount Nebo, to the top of Pisgah, that is over against Jericho. And the Lord showed him all the land, even Gilead as far as Dan" (Deuteronomy 34:1). 
- The Book of Joshua describes the famous siege of Jericho, when it was circled seven times by the ancient Children of Israel until its walls came tumbling down , after which Joshua cursed the city: "And Joshua charged the people with an oath at that time, saying: 'Cursed be the man before the Lord that riseth up and buildeth this city, even Jericho; with the loss of his first-born shall he lay the foundation thereof, and with the loss of his youngest son shall he set up the gates of it'." (Joshua 6:26).
- The Book of Jeremiah describes the end of the Judean king Zedekiah when he is captured in the area of Jericho: "But the army of the Chaldeans pursued after them, and overtook Zedekiah in the plains of Jericho; and when they had taken him, they brought him up to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon to Riblah in the land of Hamath, and he gave judgment upon him."  (Jeremiah 39:5).
Three separate settlements have existed at or near the current location for more than 11,000 years. The location was probably desirable on account of a supply of fresh water and a favorable position on an east-west route north of the Dead Sea.
The earliest settlement was located at the present-day Tell es-Sultan (or Tell Sultan), a couple of kilometers from the current city. Arabic tell means "mound" -- consecutive layers of habitation built up a mound over time, as is common for ancient settlements in the Middle East and Anatolia. Jericho is the type site of the Pre-Pottery Neolithic A (PPN A) and B.
The habitation has been classed into several phases:
Pre-Pottery Neolithic A, 8350 BC to 7370 BC. Sometimes called Sultanien . A four hectare settlement surrounded by a stone wall, with a stone tower in the centre of one wall. Round mud-brick houses. Use of domesticated emmer wheat, barley and pulses and hunting of wild animals.
Pre-Pottery Neolithic B, 7220 BC to 5850 BC (but 14C-dates are few and early). Expanded range of domesticated plants. Possible domestication of sheep. Apparent cult involving the preservation of human skulls, with facial features reconstructed from plaster and eyes set with shells in some cases.
After the PPN A settlement-phase there was a settlement hiatus of several centuries, then the PPN B settlement was founded on the eroded surface of the tell. The architecture consisted of rectilinear buildings made of mudbricks on stone foundations. The mudbricks were loaf-shaped with deep thumb prints to facilitate bounding. No building has been excavated in its entirety. Normally, several rooms cluster around a central courtyard. There is one big room (6.5 x 4 m and 7 x 3 m) with internal divisions, the rest are small, presumably used for storage. The rooms have red or pinkish terrazzo-floors made of lime. Some impressions of mats made of reeds or rushes have been preserved. The courtyards have clay floors.
The dead were buried under the floors or in the rubble fill of abandoned buildings. There are several collective burials, not all the skeletons are completely articulated, which may point to a time of exposure before burial. A skull cache contained seven skulls. The jaws were removed, the face covered with plaster, cowries were used for eyes. All in all, ten skulls were found. Modelled skulls were found in Tell Ramad and Beisamoun as well.
- Flints: arrowheads (tanged or side-notched), finely denticulated sickle-blades, burins, scrapers, a few tranchet axes. 1% obsidian, Ciftlik and green obsidian from unknown source.
- ground stone: querns, hammerstones, a few ground-stone axes made of greenstone. Dishes and bowls carved from soft limestone. Spindle whorls made of stone and maybe loom weights.
- Bone Tools: Spatulae and drills
- stylised anthropomorphic plaster figures, almost life-size
- Anthropomorphic and theriomorphic clay figurines
- shell and malachite beads
Pottery neolithic A and B
Late 4th millennium BC. Jericho was occupied during Neolithic 2 and the general character of the remains on the site link it culturally with Neolithic 2 sites in the West Syrian and Middle Euphrates groups. There are the rectilinear mud-brick buildings and plaster floors.
A walled town, continuously occupied until some time between 1580 BC and 1400 BC when it was destroyed.
The Biblical account of its destruction is found in the Book of Joshua. The Bible describes the destruction as having happened as a result of Joshua, Moses' successor. Unfortunately Moses is generally thought to have lived at around 1300 BC, and as such critical scholars see a contradiction between history and the biblical text in this area. Other Biblical researchers who use Scripture to date the exodus to the 15th century BC see this as significant support for the veracity of the record, and a landmark in the Biblical archaeology corpus.
Tulul Abu el-'Alayiq
The present city was captured by Israel after the Six-Day War in 1967. It was agreed to be handed over to Palestinian Authority control in 1994, in accordance with the Gaza and Jericho Agreement. On 16 March 2005, control of the city was formally handed over.
In 1998, a large hotel/casino was opened in Jericho. For a few years it attracted many Israeli gamblers and was the largest private employer in the West Bank. It is now closed due to the Al-Aqsa Intifada, but the empty high-rise remains as a prominent landmark.
The first archaeological excavations of the site were made by Charles Warren in 1868. Ernst Sellin and Carl Watzinger excavated Tell es-Sultan and Tulul Abu el-'Alayiq between 1907-1909 and in 1911. John Garstang excavated between 1930 and 1936. Extensive investigations using more modern techniques were made by Kathleen Kenyon between 1952 and 1958.
- Digging Up Jericho, Kathleen Kenyon, (1957)
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details