Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Joseph (יוסף, Standard Hebrew Yosef, Tiberian Hebrew Y˘sēph) is originally a name in the Hebrew Bible. The original name is interpreted to mean "The Lord will increase/add". In the Qur'an, the name is Yusuf.
- Joseph, son of Jacob, is a character in the Book of Genesis in the Hebrew Bible. He was a Hebrew who wore a coat of many colours and interpreted dreams, as well as a commodities trader.
- Saint Joseph of Nazareth is a character from the New Testament who was the foster-father of Jesus.
- Joseph of Arimathea acquired the body of Jesus from Pontius Pilate.
- Barnabas's first name was also Joseph.
- Joseph is a son of Lehi in the Book of Mormon.
- Chief Joseph was a Nez Perce Chief.
- Joseph is the name of a Khazar ruler of the mid 900's CE who corresponded with Hasdai ibn Shaprut.
- A number of kings were named Joseph:
Joseph is also the name of some places:
There are also some places called Saint Joseph.
- Russian: Иосиф (Iosif), Осип (Osip)
- Arabic: Yusuf
- Italian: Giuseppe
- Spanish & Portuguese: JosÚ
- Catalan: Joseph
- Chinese: (pinyin: Yue se)
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details