Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Karlstad ['kɑːɭstɑː(d)] is a City and Municipality in Värmland County, in mid-western Sweden. The municipality covers an area of 1167.1 km². Of the total population of 80,323, 39,147 are male, and 41,176 are female. The population density of the community is 69 inhabitants per km². Karlstad was founded by King Charles IX of Sweden and lies on the northern edge of lake Vänern. It has an university and a minor international airport. Karlstad lies on the mainline railway connecting Oslo and Stockholm.
Sites of interest
- Alstersherrgård, the manor house where Gustaf Fröding was born
- Karlstad Cathedral , built in 1730
- An indoor ice rink, expanded in 2002 to host world hockey championships.
- Botanical gardens
- A large market place (city square) where the negotiations for the dissolution of union between Sweden and Norway were held in 1905
- A rune stone: one of four known in Värmland.
- A history museum
- A nature museum.
- Swedish Rescue Services Agency
- Swedish National Service Administration
- Swedish Rally
- Karlstad Hundred
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details