Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Her career began on television, with a co-starring role in the BBC children's science-fiction serial Dark Season in 1991, followed by an appearance in an episode of the medical drama Casualty in 1993, also for the BBC.
Her film career took off in 1994 when she performed her first leading role as Juliet Hulme in Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures. Since then she has acted in several films, such as Sense and Sensibility, Jude, A Kid in King Arthur's Court, Titanic, Hamlet, Hideous Kinky, Holy Smoke, Iris, The Life of David Gale, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Finding Neverland and Romance and Cigarettes earning her four Oscar nominations and four Golden Globes.
Kate Winslet has also enjoyed a brief taste of success as a singer, with her single "What If" from the "Christmas Carol: The Movie" soundtrack.
On November 22, 1998 she married director Jim Threapleton with whom she has a daughter named Mia Honey. After her divorce in 2001, she began a relationship with director Sam Mendes. Kate married Sam on May 24, 2003 on the island of Anguilla in the West Indies and their son Joe Alfie Winslet-Mendes was born on December 22, 2003.
On January 25, 2005 Winslet was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. She eventually lost to Hilary Swank. This tied her for the record for most Academy Award nominations for an actress before the age of 30. This nomination was preceded by nominations for Best Supporting Actress in Sense and Sensibility and Iris and a nomination for Best Actress in Titanic. She was also nominated for a BAFTA for Best Actress in that film and in Finding Neverland, but lost to Imelda Staunton.
Her home town of Reading has named a street - Winslet Place - in her honour, ironically built on the site of a demolished cinema.
- Gnomeo & Juliet (2006) - Juliet (voice)
- Flushed Away (2006) - Rita (voice)
- Little Children (2005) - Sarah
- All the King's Men (2005) - Anne Stanton
- Romance & Cigarettes (2005) - Tula
- Finding Neverland (2004) - Sylvia Llewelyn Davies
- Pride (TV) (2004) - Suki (voice)
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - Clementine Kruczynski
- Plunge: The Movie (2003) - Clare
- The Life of David Gale (2003) - Bitsey Bloom
- War Game (2001) - Mum/Annie
- Iris (2001/I) - Young Iris Murdoch
- Christmas Carol: The Movie (2001) - Belle (voice)
- Enigma (2001) - Hester Wallace
- Quills (2000) - Madeleine 'Maddy' LeClerc
- Faeries (1999) - Brigid (voice)
- Holy Smoke (1999) - Ruth Barron
- Hideous Kinky (1998) - Julia
- Titanic (1997) - Rose DeWitt Bukater
- Hamlet (1996) - Ophelia
- Jude (1996) - Sue Bridehead
- Sense and Sensibility (1995) - Marianne Dashwood
- A Kid in King Arthur's Court (1995) - Princess Sarah
- Heavenly Creatures (1994) - Juliet Hulme
- Get Back (1992) (TV series) - Eleanor Sweet
- Anglo Saxon Attitudes (1992) (TV series)
- Dark Season (1991) (TV series) - Reet
- http://discoverkate.com – Fan site
- http://admiringkate.com – Fan site
- http://foreverkate.com – Fan site
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details