Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Originally named "Bishop's Lynn," the town was part of the manor of the Bishop of Norwich in the 12th century. When Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries in 1538, it became royal property. The name "King's Lynn" reflects this change.
In the 14th century, the town ranked as the third port of England. It became very prosperous from the 17th century through the export of corn; the Customs House was built in 1683. It was — and is — a major centre for glass-making.
The Deputy Collector of Customs in 1757 was called George Vancouver. He navigated the American coast in 1790 and gave his name to Vancouver Island and the city of Vancouver — 5,000 miles away from King's Lynn.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details