Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The town of Koło (mentioned as Colo) received local government in 1362 from the king Casimir the Great. It was situated in a safe place near the royal castle, on the island in the branches of the Warta river , the town had no walls but only two gates. It was w royal city, and seat of a land county (starostwo niegrodowe).
In 1410 Koło was a gathering place of the Greater Poland nobily, called for a war with Teutonic Order (see Battle of Grunwald). In 1452 the Royal Castle in Koło was the place of meeting between the king Casimir the Jagiellonian and the representatives of the Prussian Union (see: the Thirteen-Years War ).
Since the early 15th century till 1716 Koło was the meeting place of the Provincial Parliament (Sejmik Generalny) for Greater Poland, comprising the Poznan Voivodship, Kalisz Voivodship, Sieradz Voivodship, Leczyca Voivodship, Brzesc Kujawski Voivodship and [[Inowroclaw Voivodship)
The town evolved as a regional centre of trade and crafts, especially in metals and textiles, and in 16th century a suburb of Zduny consisting mainly of potters developed on the right bank of Warta river, receiving a separate municipal autonomy in 1559. Koło was destroyed twice, once in 1622 by the Lisowski forces, and in 1655 by the Swedes, the economy managed to revive only in the end of 17th century.
Till 1793 Koło belonged to the Konin County of the Kalisz Voivodship, and in years 1793-1806 it was occupied by Prussia, but during the Kosciuszko insurection in 1794 it was temporarily liberated by the insurgents. In years 1807-15 it belonged to the Duchy of Warsaw and later to the Congress Poland.
http://www.kolo.pl/ Kolo City offcial site
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details