Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Koprivnica is the official capital of the county. It was first mentioned in 1272 in a document by prince Ladislav IV and declared a free royal town by king Ludovic I in 1356, and flourished as a trading place and a military fortress since.
The military aspect set it back some when it was included in the Military Frontier in the 16th century during the wars with the Ottoman Turks, but after Maria Theresa's decree of 1765 it resumed life as a peaceful little merchant town.
Križevci, on the other hand, as a smaller city and second mentioned in the county name may seem like an underdog to its neighbour Koprivnica. Its first mention was from 1193 by Bela III but it was divided in two parts which didn't develop equally fast.
After centuries of division, empress Maria Theresa united the Lower and Upper Križevac into Križevci in 1752. The town was also hit by the wars with the Turks, but it regained importance in 1871 when the railway was built through it on the way from Budapest to Rijeka.
The county also includes a third town, Đurđevac , but its population is much smaller than the main two (8,862 in 2001).
Koprivnica-Križevci county is divided:
- City of Koprivnica (county seat)
- Town of Križevci
- Town of Đurđevac
- Municipality of Drnje
- Municipality of Đelekovac
- Municipality of Ferdinandovac
- Municipality of Gola
- Municipality of Gornja Rijeka
- Municipality of Hlebine
- Municipality of Kalinovac
- Municipality of Kalnik
- Municipality of Kloštar Podravski
- Municipality of Koprivnički Bregi
- Municipality of Koprivnički Ivanec
- Municipality of Legrad
- Municipality of Molve
- Municipality of Novigrad Podravski
- Municipality of Novo Virje
- Municipality of Peteranec
- Municipality of Podravske Sesvete
- Municipality of Rasinja
- Municipality of Sokolovac
- Municipality of Sveti Ivan Žabno
- Municipality of Sveti Petar Orehovec
- Municipality of Virje
Current Župan (prefect): Josip Friščić (HSS)
The county assembly is composed of 41 representatives, organized as follows:
- Croatian Peasants Party (HSS) 14
- Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ) 12
- Social Democratic Party of Croatia (SDP) 9
- Croatian Social Liberal Party (HSLS) 3
- Liberal Party of Croatia (LS) 2
- Croatian Party of Pensioners (HSU) 1
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details