Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
KoЯn is a nu metal band from Bakersfield, California, United States. They originally formed as LAPD (which stood for Love And Peace Dude), which consisted of all five members apart from singer Jonathan Davis. They later changed their name to Creep. When Davis joined the band in 1993, they changed their name to KoЯn, releasing their debut album KoЯn through Epic/Immortal Records in October 1994.
Davis' distinctive singing—often a series of grunts, whines and bizarre scats—and his lyrics, are inspired in part by his alleged child abuse by an unnamed party. The group's music is a blend of pounding, tribal drums and loud, distorted seven-string guitars (a standard guitar has only six), and has gained the band popularity throughout the years. This band is also notable for its collaborations with some hip hop artists, like Ice Cube and Nas.
As of 2004, the group have remained successful: KoЯn recently released a greatest hits album, with two cover versions as singles. The first single is a cover of Cameo's 1980s hit, Word Up. The other is a cover of the three parts of Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall.
The band completed their record deal with Sony Records and now plans to release their future albums themselves, setting a new precedent for big name artists.
Brian "Head" Welch, citing religious/moral objections to the band's music, left KoЯn on February 22, 2005. He has turned highly religious, even being baptized in the Jordan River. This is the band's first line up change.
The band had planned on putting guitar solos on their next album but scrapped them, stating they were not coming out well in the music.
- KoЯn, 1994
- Life Is Peachy, 1996 #32 UK
- Follow the Leader, 1998 #5 UK
- Issues, 1999 #37 UK
- Untouchables, 2002 #4 UK
- Take A Look In The Mirror, 2003 #53 UK
- Greatest Hits, Volume 1, 2004 #22 UK
- Korn Kovers, due for release in 2005
Most of these videos can be downloaded from KoЯnTV.
- Shoots and Ladders
From Life Is Peachy
- No Place To Hide (1996) #26 UK
- A.D.I.D.A.S. (1997) #22 UK
- Good God (1997) #25 UK
From Follow The Leader
- Got The Life (1998) #23 UK
- Freak on a Leash (1999) #24 UK
- Falling Away From Me (2000) #24 UK
- Make Me Bad (2000) #25 UK
- Somebody Someone
- Here To Stay (2002) #72 US, #12 UK
- Thoughtless (2002) #37 UK
- Alone I Break
From Take A Look In The Mirror
- Did My Time (2003) #38 US, #15 UK
- Right Now
- Y'all Want a Single
- Everything I've Known
From Greatest Hits, Volume 1
- Word Up
- Another Brick in the Wall
- I Know What You Did Last Summer - Proud
- The Crow: City of Angels - Sean Olsen
- End of Days - The Camel Song
- Spawn - Kick the P.A., with Dust Brothers
- Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life - Did My Time
- The Queen of the Damned - Music and lyrics written and performed (in the movie) by Jonathan Davis. The songs were performed by various other singers on the soundtrack album.
- XXX: State of the Union - Fight The Power - Originally recorded by rap act, Public Enemy. The song features rapper Xzibit and was produced by rapper Lil Jon.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details