Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The ladder theory is an explanation by a writer on an Internet website of the ways in which men and women evaluate potential sexual partners and friends of the opposite sex. Though it has generated some interest in some online communities, it has not been evaluated by any studies, journals, or social psychologists.
The ladder theory explains differences in how men and women evaluate potential opposite-gender sexual partners and friends. The theory provides an explanation for why men will readily have sex with an attractive female friend much more often than a woman will have sex with an attractive male friend.
According to the theory, individuals put people of the opposite sex into either sexual or nonsexual schemas, or 'ladders'. However, while women tend to put men on the nonsexual ladder, men only have a sexual ladder and rank all women on it. People are generally unwilling to recategorize, especially women.
For men, physical attractiveness is the main factor in sexual attraction. For women, money and power are the main factors in sexual attraction. Men and women are only willing to have sex with those on their sexual ladder. On the sexual ladder, the more sexually attractive the person is, the more likely sex is.
This theory conflicts with some findings of social psychology. For example, some findings of social psychology demonstrate that men and women are actually equally influenced by physical attraction; men just have a stronger attitude about it that is not reflected in their behavior.
The Ladder Theory was a theory developed by Dallas Lynn which actually started in satire (and still retains some of its humorous nature). It evolved into an actual theory that many people believe to be a very close approximation to real life interactions between men and women.
Men have one ladder - the sexual ladder. This implies that men are sexual beings who would have sex with (almost) every female on earth. This directly correlates to a male's natural urges to spread his genes to as many eligible recipients as possible.
Women have two ladders - a sexual ladder, and a 'friends' ladder. The friends ladder is where males who do not make the grade are put - they are more than likely never going to perform a 'ladder jump' and get on the sexual ladder, but will always be given only the friends treatment by the woman. The sexual ladder, of course, is indicative of a woman's more selective sexual behavior and her quest to find a single partner to father her progeny, which also directly correlates to the way females choose to spread their genes.
There is also an area known as the 'abyss'. This is the area where members of the opposite sex go that are determined to be completely unworthy of copulation.
Attraction is based upon the following (note that these percentages are only general percentages and can be broken down further):
For males - Physical Beauty (60%), Estimated Chance of Putting Out Quickly (30%), Other (10%). For females - Money/Power (50%), Physical Attractiveness (40%), Other Things Women Say They Care About But Really Don't (10%).
It should be noted that ladder theory is intended to apply only to the actual act of sexual intercourse, and not to the establishment of a relationship. That, along with its so-far-unrevealed ability to apply ladder theory to homosexuals, comprises the largest problem with ladder theory's applicability.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details