Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The Aurelia used the first production V6 engine, a 60° Jano design which grew from 1.8 L to 2.5 L. It was an all-alloy pushrod design with a single camshaft between the cylinder banks. A hemispherical combustion chamber and inline valves were used. A single Weber 40 carburetor completed the engine.
At the rear was an innovative combination transaxle with the gearbox, clutch, differential, and inboard-mounted drum brakes. Front suspension was a sliding pillar design, with rear semi-trailing arms replaced by a de Dion tube in the 4th series.
The very first Aurelias were the B10 berlinas . They used a 1754 cc version of the V6 which produced 56 hp. The B21 was released in 1951 with a larger 1991 cc 70 hp engine. A 2-door B20 GT Coupe appeared that same year. It had a shorter wheelbase and a Ghia-designed, Pininfarina-built body. The same 1991 cc engine produced 75 hp in the B20. In all, 500 first-series Aurelias were produced.
The second series Aurelia coupe pushed power up to 80 hp from the 1991 cc V6 with a higher compression ratio and repositioned valves. Other changes included better brakes and minor styling tweaks. A new B22 berlina was released in 1952 with dual Webers and a hotter camshaft for 90 hp.
The 3rd series appeared in 1953 with a larger 2451 cc version of the engine.
The 4th series introduced the new de Dion tube rear suspension.
The 5th series, appearing in 1956, was more luxury-oriented.
Power was down to 112 hp for the 1957 sixth series.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details