Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
- This article is about Leith, Scotland; see also other places called Leith .
Historically Leith and Edinburgh were separate, but growth over the centuries means that Leith and Edinburgh now form a contiguous urban area. Leith merged with Edinburgh in 1920.
Leith gained a charter as a royal burgh after the English army was successfully repelled at the Battle of Leith . An archway of the old Leith Citadel still stands.
The remains of the battlefield are now a park called the Leith Links . This was also the site of an early five hole golf course built in the 18th century. Leith lays claim to being "the home of golf" because the official rules of golf were initially formulated at Leith then later adopted by St Andrews.
At the end of the 20th century Leith saw redevelopment of the port area, initially because the devolved Scottish Parliament purchased a low cost site for its civil service offices. This in turn led to further service and tourist development including the Ocean Terminal complex and the permanently moored Royal Yacht Britannia.
Other points of interest
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details