Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Lesko was founded probably in the 14th century; it is first mentioned in 1436. It was given town rights about 1470, when it was owned by Kmita nobles. In the 17th century the town was quite important centre of trade and craftsmanship, inhabited by about 1500 citizens. A good period ended in 1704, when it was looted by the Swedish troops in the Great Northern War.
- castle of Kmita nobles, built in the 16th century, then reconstructed, partially destroyed and rebuilt
- former synagogue, built between 16th and 17th centuries, then reconstructed. Destroyed during the World War II, then rebuilt. Currently there is an art gallery,
- church built about 1539, then reconstructed.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details